Saturday, October 11, 2008

Randomness

So i don't have anything specific today but I was bored and decided I should write something. I had a few thoughts today but none that were really ground breaking.

Anyone ever had that friend who makes plans but never sticks to them? I've known a few of those people my entire life. Most of the time it's something legit, they didn't just forget, nor are they just blowing people off, but it always seems to happen that when you make plans with this person something changes, and usually right around the time whatever was going on was supposed to happen. Now I've gotten used to this, as I said I've dealt with it from different people my entire life. However I always wonder why it is that I am a stickler for plans then? Why do I always feel the need to make plans, and follow through with them since most of my good friends don't know how? Sometimes it gets really frustrating, although I have learned to get over it and go do something else.

Last night I had the best time I've had for months or so. Did I go out to a bar, or a movie, or a party you ask? None of the above. I sat at home (well not my home) with a friend, watched the Red Sox game (kind of) and just hung out. Talked, laughed at some videos online, told some stories. Nothing exciting, and yet I had a great time. Just goes to show that there really isn't a need to go out and get drunk to have a good time....although those are good times too (sometimes)!

So I watched another DVD of Carlos Mencia today, and one a few weeks ago. I really think he is a funny comedian, one of my favorites. Why is this? Well because he and I share many views on general life, and life in America. People are too damn uptight now. What really happened to freedom of speech? I figure I was in the military, I fought for my right to say what I think. I got shot at, I spent 13 months either on a boat or in a foreign country, away from my family. And yet if I said something that someone disagrees with I could get fired or at least reprimanded because the person was offended. Get over yourselves, seriously. I am happy to see comedians like Carlos Mencia who will stand up for their right to free speech, who will "push the envelope" even when they really aren't. I know he has been accused of stealing jokes. In the entertainment business (movies, music, comedians, etc.) everyone uses everyone elses material as inspiration. Some of the jokes he "stole" he told WAY better than the person who initially told it, and I am willing to bet that the "original" person did not come up with it 100% on their own either. In any case, if you can't laugh at yourself or the other ridiculous stories that he talks about (the guy who mailed himself in a box from the east coast to Texas for example) then you need to find a sense of humor! And if you are offended by him, you need to grow a thicker skin.

No comments: